Re: New string in gnome-doc-utils

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 18:18 +0200, Jorge González González wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for what I saw at i18n list you're behind the module gnome-doc-utils. If
> not, I'm sorry and you can forget this email.
>
> About the new string in the module gnome-doc-utils:
> #.
> #. This is used to offset an inline description from a title.  This is
> #. typically used on title and refpurpose of a refentry element, which
> #. models the structure of a man page.
> #.
> #: ../xslt/gettext/l10n.xml.in.h:11
> msgid " — "
> msgstr ""
>
> makes me understand that it's gonna be used for things like:
> Spanish translation team — Spanish
>
> In Spanish we don't use that at all, tried to gather some documentation
> about the use of "—" and what I see is that the use of — in Spanish
> is just for:
> * starting dialog  (— Blah blah blah)
> * inline comment of a dialog (— No. —I said— Blah blah blah)
> * inline comment of a dialog (— No. Blah blah. —I said.)
> * starting line of a reference (— Figure nº2)
>
> For the inline description from a title we use brackets (), but is not often to
> see a title like that.
>
> So I can't guess how I'm gonna translate that string.

(I'm CCing gnome-i18n, because this might interest others.)

It's only used to separate a name and description inside
the title of DocBook's refentry.  The refentry element is
basically an XML model of a man page.

To see how it would be used, run 'man ls' in a terminal.
In English, the "NAME" section has this:

        ls - list directory contents

It's that dash that's being translated.  I should probably
describe this better in the translator comments.  If this
is a problem, I can change it to a format string, like:

msgid " — <node/>"

This would allow you to turn it into, for example:

msgstr " (<node/>)"

Would that be better?

--
Shaun