Re: RTL support in Gnome

ons, 17.01.2007 kl. 10.17 +0200, skrev Yair Hershkovitz:
> Hi,
>
> > >   1) I want to start a mailing list for RTL support discussions
> > > ( gnome-rtl gnome org ???)
> >
> > I don't think it's quite necessary.  One reason is that only people
> > directly interested in RTL support will be there, while most of the time
> > one wants comment from main developers of modules or other "interested"
> > hackers.  You don't get it there.
> >

> There are some issues with RTL supports that needs to be discussed. For
> example: Should window decorations switch sides when in RTL? Should
> desktop icons be aligned to the right in RTL (bug #397395)?
>
> When such a list exists, developers would also be able to use it to
> get help on how to support RTL in their applications.
>
> We can't leave the decisions of how RTL support should work to module
> developers and maintainers. I do think that GNOME should have an RTL
> group.

Isn't this really just a specialized group within the i18n team? Can't
it be solved there without creating yet another list, keyword in
bugzilla etc etc?

We (or you reallly) should also educate the maintainers through
documentation and discussion over time to raise awareness on these
issues from the design stage and up.

Cheers
Kjartan