Re: Should project.pot file be in SVN?

Daniel Elstner írta:
Hi,

I'm a bit confused by the advice given in this document:

    http://www.gnome.org/~malcolm/i18n/index.html

For one thing it says that my project's .pot file (regexxer.pot) should
be used as a template for new translations.  It also seems to be used to
generate the i18n status packages.  However, this file is generated by
intltool-update (all the *.po files are regenerated too).  The i18n
document advises not commit to the po/ directory.  But if I don't commit
these changes, will translators actually notice that an update is in
order?

I would be glad to get some advice on this issue.  Thanks a lot.
The i18n document is right; pot files should not be in svn.
Also, you don't need to manually update/commit any translation files after you add some strings to the program. The updated translation files are automatically regenerated by progress.gnome.org, then put on status pages, thus we can notice they are changed and update them accordingly.

To be short, you need only care to update POTFILES.[in|skip] and mark all user visible strings for translation - everythig else works automatically.

regards

Gabor Kelemen