Re: Issues in translating GNOME to Irish

Le samedi 08 décembre 2007 à 16:18 +0100, Christian Rose a écrit :
> On 3/14/07, Sean Burke <leftmostcat gmail com> wrote:
> >     The second problem involves the way that numbering works in Irish.
> > In the singular, a noun will never have a number placed before it. Thus,
> > "You will be automatically logged out in %d second" would translate
> > without the %d. This seems like it might cause issues, though I'm not
> > sure. Any feedback on this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Please file a bug report in bugzilla.gnome.org against the affected
> software, telling the authors to please use ngettext()
> (http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines/Plurals) for
> messages containing numbers.

No, it is not actually the problem. He wants to hide the %d value in the
translation. If he simply deletes %d in his translation, he will get an
error like this :
	number of format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' does not match
	msgfmt: found 1 fatal error

To avoid this, he should use the syntax %0d where the number following %
indicates the number of characters to be displayed by printf (i.e. 0
because we want to hide the variable).
For more information please refer to 'man 3 printf'
Note that it works with %0s, %0u, etc. of course.

Regards,

Bob.