Re: RFC: going to add 2.18 branch

On 07/11/2006, at 9:07 PM, Gabor Kelemen wrote:

Abel Cheung írta:
Hi all,

I have done the necessary changes to switch to 2.18 release and
drop 2.14 branch data form status pages. It's ready for commit.
If anyway still like 2.14 to be there, please shout aloud, otherwise
I'll go ahead and commit the change (and pray).

Abel

This week, 2.17.2 is due to be out. Perhaps it's really time to replace
2.14 with 2.18.

That's certainly the way it looks from our POV. However, I'm beginning to realize that things may be different for our users.

I've just translated the release-notes for Debian "Etch", the new Debian system which will be out this December. It proudly announced that it included GNOME 2.14 !

I gather Ubuntu did the same. So we're going to receive feedback and bug reports on GNOME 2.14 files from a large section of our user- base. I don't understand why the distros don't release the current GNOME version, but it means we do need to maintain and update what to so many users is "the latest GNOME": GNOME 2.14.

In effect, that leaves us working actively on three GNOME branches: the upcoming version (HEAD or 2.18), the latest release (2.16), and what the distros release as the latest release (2.14). :S