Start Gimp translation

Hello,

my name is Soben. I'm now working for KhmerOS, the project that bring the Khmer computer software to Cambodia by localizing open source software. We are now planning to start translating GIMP. So what we want to know is what steps should we do to have it translated? Is it right that we need to translate:

/gimp/po
/gimp/po-libgimp
/gimp/po-plug-ins
/gimp/po-scritp-fu
/gimp/po-tips

which are located in head release of Khmer team at l10n-status.gnome.org?

Another question is (if this is not the right place to ask please kindly point me to the correct one) when will the next release of GIMP come out? Since we have many other works to do so we want to know how much work we will do and its deadline easy for us to prepare our work.

Thanks and regards,
Soben