Re: Release notes keep changing (was Re: Stripped translations for gnome-user-guide)

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 14:48 +0100, Danilo Åegan wrote:
> Hi Nickolay, Bob,
>
> Today at 10:57, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:
>
> > And just a note, please stop modifications of release note, it's
> > really hard to update translations every hour. Probably we need doc
> > freeze timeline for the next release cycle.
>
> Release notes are not part of other docs stuff: they just use the same
> technology.  Unfortunately, we had entirely new bunch of editors for
> them this round (Bob Kashani), and they were not very gentle to
> translators (probably due to misunderstandings: IMO, it's better to
> have less than perfect English version, and 23 translations [as we had
> last year], than excellent English version, and no [or 2] complete
> translations).

The Release Notes are now frozen. There will be no more changes unless
we find something glaring (which I really doubt). But I will mail the
list if any changes need to be made.

I also want to apologize to all the translators for making changes so
late in the process. This is completely my fault. I didn't completely
understanding how the whole translations process was done.

> I offered to do simple corrections in en.po for them, but I guess we'd
> need more explaining for Bob to understand what it means and how is it
> done.  Though, it's also explained in the "Typos" section on
>
>   http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseNotes/Translating
>

> Bob, you can simply "translate" the parts which have errors to those
> with corrections, and PO file format is simple.  Grab untranslated one
> from
>
>   http://kvota.net/doc-l10n/PO/release-notes.HEAD.pot
>
> (it's periodically regenerated, so you may need to wait for it to
> change when you change XML source, which is why you shouldn't change
> XML source anymore ;), and search for things you want to correct in
> msgid's and enter it in corresponding msgstr.  Once you update it,
> commit it as en.po according to
>
>   http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseNotes/Translating
>
> and put any additional corrections there.

Ok, I'll add en. I've never done a translation before so if I have any
questions I'll be sure to ask. :)

Bob

--
Bob Kashani