Spurious .h files

I got a strange surprise this morning when checking on my make distcheck
for Dia.  It had failed, complaining about a series of .in.h files left
behind, mostly from our .sheet files, but also dia.desktop.in.h, which
contains

char *s = N_("Dia Diagram Editor");
char *s = N_("Edit your Diagrams");

This appears to be leftovers from intltool (of which I have version
0.34.1 (yes, I know there's a 0.34.2, but unless there's evidence of a
connection, I'm not keen to override my system installation).  A CVS
diff versus the previous prerelease show no changes in anything related,
and it didn't happen then.  I've made a distclean, autogen, configure,
and it keeps happening.  Has any of you seen something similar?

Thanks,
-Lars