Merging po files

Hello,

I have noticed that there have been some changes in the translation
repository (some of po files were changed). I have some already
translated files on my disk so I am wondering what I have to do. Do I
have to merge them with msgmerge application or can they be uploaded and
merged on the server?

Regards,
Matic

PS: The reason I am asking this is that I have already tried to merge
some old po files with these new, but some produced very awful results.
For example, when I tried to merge old gnome-utils.HEAD.sl.po with new
gnome-utils.HEAD.sl.po, it doubled the amount of messages.