Re: Changing Linux with GNU/Linux where necessary

Miloslav Trmac wrote:

> I strongly object to considering "educational and promotional" a
> justification to distortion of truth.

I also consider it insufficient, because GNU/Linux is a variant of the
GNU operating system that uses the Linux kernel.  So by all means it
is appropriate to refer to the system with its actual name, not only
for "educational and promotional purposes".

> That said, I don't think "GNU/Linux" usage is warranted even on
> systems using some software with FSF copyright assignments.

The copyright assignments have nothing to do with this.  The system is
composed of many components, one of which (indeed, important) is the
kernel.  Since Linux is not part of the GNU Project, we are giving
credit to their developers by including "Linux" in the name of that
variant of GNU.  But not vice versa, which is the most spread
situation nowadays and is *wrong*.

> I won't repeat the arguments, they are easy to look up.

I'm not aware of any arguments that will convince me that Linux is an
operating system.  It's a common mistake that nearly everybody does,
but not a statement that'll hold.

--
In the GNU Project, discrimination against proprietary software is not
just a policy -- it's the principle and the purpose.  Proprietary