Re: local dictionary sources for gnome-dictionary

Hi Christian,

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 11:47 +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> On 1/13/06, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> > So far, the only source available is the one bound to dict.org, which is
> > a fine dictionary server, but it's only for English-speaking people.
> >
> > Thus, I'm asking if any of you know of a dictionary server (that is, a
> > server complying to the RFC-2229) for a specific languages, so that I
> > can add it to the next gnome-utils releases.  You should try adding it
> > to the sources list of Dictionary:
>
> I asked about this on the Swedish mailing list, and was informed about
> http://dict.aioe.org/ <dict://dict.aioe.org> ... Perhaps that can be
> used for some languages?

Unfortunately, dict.aioe.org does not return valid UTF-8 data (which is
what the RFC mandates) and the DICT protocol doesn't support a way to
tell us in which encoding we are, in fact, receiving text.  I've noticed
this last month, when dict.aioe.org stopped working after an update.

I'll notify the server's maintainer, but until is fixed it's not a valid
source.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--