Re: Fonts for distribution

Hi Simos, thanks for your reply, as always. :)

On 24/02/2006, at 12:20 AM, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
MJ Ray said:

Last I heard, the Open Font Licence got its name change clause
(clause 3) wrong and prevents people making API-compatible
new fonts based on OFL'd ones (that is, derived works cannot
be drop-in replacements for an original). It goes far further
in this restriction than the Bitstream Vera fonts, for example.
The Bitstream Vera README tells you how to include a local.conf
file to be a drop-in replacement, but that seems forbidden
for OFL'd packages.

The OFL FAQ claims it follows the DFSG, but DDs disagree. See
for example. Please do not upload OFL'd fonts to main for now.

Not that I was going to upload anything, but you get the gist.
Hi Clytie,
That is strange. Mr Ray said earlier,

There does seem to be some, um, lack of clarity in this issue. One other list member and DD immediately replied and contradicted him, only to be told that he was non-representative. I might crawl under the bed and sit this one out... Conflict is not my thing.

I have been following the progress of the OFL through "debian-legal",
the mailing list that is supposed to make sure whether a package goes to main or to non-free.
This list appears to be a bunch of individuals that make their own interpretation of licenses.
They are so unproductive that when someone tells them, "here is our draft license, please comment",
they 1) avoid any constructive criticism, 2) wait until after the draft period has passed.
They become very protective against the criticism and tend deem anything as non-free, even if
the FSF thinks they are ok. Oh, the GFDL is "not free" either.

:(

I've noticed a lot of um, discussion. I don't know how effective it is. My only real knowledge of Debian is:

1. My husband and son use it, and love it, and they're both very picky and skilled.
2. Christian Perrier is the debian-i18n co-ordinator and does a terrific job, which means the Installer localization, which he manages, is efficient and responsive. The Level 1 file is a model for translator context. He (and possibly others) have recently improved the debconf translation, so you receive update emails. Otherwise, one would have pretty much no idea of where one was with the 600+ debconf files.
3. All other files are, um, hard to track down. If you translate them, they can sit for months, and I mean _lots_ of months, in the bug-tracking queue, not being applied. This is apparently due to Debian's "distributed nature". It means not being able to see your progress, or have your translations used in any reasonable timescale. I find that discouraging. So, apart from the installer, I tend not to spend my energy in Debian. I think that's a pity. :(

I've posted and submitted ideas about (3). In particular, what frustrates me greatly is that the Debian status page for my language shows files as incomplete or untranslated which I have had at 100% for the Translation Project or Gnome or other project for months! This could result in other translators wasting their time by trying to "complete" or "translate" these very old versions of those files. It does result in me not being able to see what I should do next, unless I diff their status page with all the other status pages and project information I have. I don't have time for that. I recently picked out one file I'd never heard of, and translated that, but that's not really a good method.

So it's a bit hard to get an all-over picture of Debian, yet, at least for me. :S

:(

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Debian#Legal

Ouch. Uncyclopedia doesn't pull any punches. ;)

I did encounter really surprising hostility on one Debian mailing list, when bringing up the subject of encouraging members, new members in particular (a side-issue of possibly forming a separate list for translators of that material). It was very unpleasant, and I had to give it up, because I'm too sick for that sort of thing, and anyway, culturally it's extremely inappropriate.

However, my son spends a lot of time on a Debian support IRC channel, and I know he tries hard to help out newbies and users of different levels. We've talked about it often.

So the project seems to be "distributed" to the extent that it has wildly differing approaches in some cases. If this extends to inconsistency or inefficiency of procedure, that's something I know would concern people like Christian.

I did contribute to a wiki article on how people wanted to change and develop the i18n system at least. I don't know what's happened there. Certainly, on the debian-i18n list, there is a lot of enthusiasm, and effort being put in, so we can only hope that this is the majority attitude, and if so, that it creates change elsewhere in the project.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)