Re: Gnome2 User Guide: translate it!

On 23/02/2006, at 5:09 AM, Danilo Åegan wrote:

By the mighty Shaun, our fellow GDP leader, we present you Gnome2 User
Guide in translatable PO files:

http://kvota.net/doc-l10n/by-modules.html#gnome2-user-guide

This is a great move! :D

It measures a tiny 2452 strings, something a translator can do in a single afternoon. Yeah, right :)

I don't know if the GUG is the same, but when I was trying to translate the Debian-Installer User Guide, I found the length of many of the strings intimidating and frustrating. PO format doesn't work very well for l-o-n-g, complex paragraphs.

Firstly, you struggle away for ages and end up with ... 3 strings completed.

Secondly, it's harder to find errors in l-o-n-g, complex paragraph strings.

I know we need cogent strings, but I'd be strongly in favour of splitting long or complex paragraph strings into sentence-strings, or at least shorter strings, if that worked for the text.

Linguistically, it should work, since a sentence is a complete statement of its own, but that will depend on the text. ;)

What do others think?

I must admit, I struggled through three or four of the _shorter_ DIUG files ... and haven't been back. The longer files just intimidate me. If their strings were broken up (correctly) more, I would take them on.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)