Re: New Georgian coordinator: Vladimer Sichinava

O/H Danilo Åegan ÎÎÏÎÏÎ:
Hi Gia,

Today at 16:30, Gia Shervashidze wrote:

here is our (GIA community) pre-contribution:
some preliminary engine for Gnome g13n (georgianization) LOCAL
development - http://www.gia.ge/index.php?pid=47
and full translation of 6 files (more than 2,000 strings) from
developer-libs - http://www.gia.ge/index.php?pid=50
atk, at-spi, gail, glib, gtk+, gtk+-properties
others (i hope) coming soon.

I actually hope Vladimir will be our main point of contact here, and
that he will provide us with translations instead.
I had a look at http://www.gia.ge/index.php?pid=50
and I noticed that the listed files have been correctly translated, the headers are well-formed and the encoding passes as UTF-8.
The existing work listed is well over 1500 messages and covers core packages.
In addition, as the Georgian team keeps a local repository of the translations, it would be good to have from now a CVS account so that they can work with the complexities of synchronising with GNOME CVS.
Personally I would be happy to support Vladimir to get a GNOME CVS account straight away.

Danilo, is that ok with you?

If all ok, Vladimir, follow the instructions at

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/policies/accounts/requesting.html (as already mentioned) to get a CVS account.

When sending the request, you can cc: those that are happy to support your request (at least myself), so that it gets granted.

Some I18n CVS tips. You may find these either complicated or terse, or both.
If they can provide some help in any way, I would be happy. In any case, feel free to ask for help :).

1. For general instructions on how to use CVS, see
http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html
2. When you add a translation, you add it under po/ for the corresponding project.
3. If you want to update the translation, you either
a. Obtain a copy ("checkout" or "co" -CheckOut) of the full source of the package using the "cvs" tool
b. enter po/ and then run "intltool-update ka" to update the existing Georgian translation, if it exists. If it does not exist, run "intltool-update -P" to create a template file, then rename to ka.po and translate with poEdit.
c. Upload ("Commit") the translation to GNOME CVS.
d. You may also update the ChangeLog file in the same directory. This is best done using "emacs". You do not need to know much about emacs to update the file; start emacs, press ESC, then x. Afterwards, type "add-change"-Press tab to complete, then press Enter. Complete the fields. Finally, save the file with Ctrl-x-c
e. If you just added a translation in a package, you need to add "ka" to the supported languages of the package. This involves editing the "configure.in" file in the main directory of the package as shown at
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-applets/configure.in?r1=1.400&r2=1.401
In this example, the "ky" language has been added.
f. You also edit the main ChangeLog file of the package, as shown at
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-applets/ChangeLog?r1=1.770&r2=1.771
g. Then, if you run the CVS "commit" command in the main directory, it will update those files.
h. In any case, if something goes wrong, it is possible to remove accidental changes; ask the list for more.

All the best,
Simos