tooltips are also strings (was: Re: Nautilus: string/UI freeze approval request)

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 18:20 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Today at 16:44, Christian Neumair wrote:
>
> > Proposed modifications
> >  * Add new UI items for mounting/ejecting/unmounting/formatting volumes,
> > marked for translation, displayed in the file menu, background context
> > and location button/label context menu if applicable.
> >  * Reorder tree view context menu "Properties" and "Unmount" entries to
> > fit to with the newly-introduced order. Alexander is concerned that this
> > may invalidate previously taken screenshots.
>
> Why wasn't it possible to do this prior to string freeze?  If it
> amounted to these 8 new strings in the string freeze which add a new
> feature at the same time, it'd be a "no" from me regarding i18n :)
>
> But:
>
> - "_Eject", "_Format", "_Mount Volume", "_Unmount Volume" already
>   exist in Nautilus (same file, even), so they are not under string freeze
> - tooltips don't really bring much value I'd say, and you can reuse
>   the values for the above (instead of "... volume associated with the
>   open folder" use the existing "... selected volume"), and later fix
>   it once you branch for 2.14
>

> So, a reminder: if a string already exists among translatable module
> messages, you need not ask GTP for string freeze break.  More details on
>
>   http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/HandlingStringFreezes
>
> It's up to developers to take advantage of this trick and look at
> their POT files to see what messages already exist :)

I used to be a translator for three years, so I'm aware of that fact,
and I didn't reuse the old strings by accident. However, I'm introducing
new tooltips which fall into the definition of new strings, so approval
is needed, at least that's how I interpret our rules.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>