Re: gnome-panel string change

Арангел Ангов wrote:

> I think it's worth the sacrifice, "System" is shorter for one. For
> example in Ubuntu you have "Administration" in it and it's logical,
> you have all sorts of programs for administering not only your
> desktop environment but also your whole system (ex. adding users and
> printers, starting/stoping services etc.).

[Disclaimer: I've never used Ubuntu and I have no idea how their menus
are structured, so we might be talking about different things.]

I guess the reason it was (and is) called "Desktop" is because the
operations under this menu are not relevant only to the system.  It
makes great sense, since only one of the submenus is regarding system
interference: Administration ("Администрация на системата") --
everything else is connected with the user's settings and environment.

> Also, I'd like to think of GNOME as a system that enables you to do
> other sys administration related stuff. I vote for "System".

I completely agree, there are more and more admin tools being
developed that make the lives of (especially newbies) admins easier.
They should be all in this subsection, but it doesn't mean that the
whole menu has to be named after it.

Anyway, I don't want to argue about this since this is something
that's not essential; if it is decided to change "Desktop" to
"System", that's ok, although a bit strange.

--
In the GNU Project, discrimination against proprietary software is not
just a policy -- it's the principle and the purpose.  Proprietary