Re: Help

On 21/04/2006, at 12:18 AM, Rajaonarisoa Fanomezana wrote:

I encountered a problem when translating the msgid "th copy)": "xxth copy" is the normal and logical word order in English, French and probably other languages but not in Malagasy. In MG, the logical structure is "copy number xx". So, where do I put the parenthesis? What kind of parenthesis will it be: opening or closing? What will happen if I put an opening parenthesis at the beginning, i.e. "(copy number xx"?

I had exactly the same problem with this file, and reported it as a bug.

In fact, most languages I know use the syntax "copy number xx". In general, anyway, it's bad translation practice to split phrases like that, with or without parentheses.

I recommended that the developer restructure the string like this:

msgid "%dth copy"

That is the entire phrase, and we can then manipulate the placeholder, e.g.

msgstr "Bán sao thá %d"

[msgstr "Copy number %d"]

My best guess is that the closing parenthesis would go after the entire phrase, since the entire phrase is before it in the original string. But it's bad practice to create original string like that.

I am disappointed that this string has not yet been fixed, in response to the bug report.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)