Re: Upload gnome-panel po file

On 20/04/2006, at 4:43 PM, Thierry Randrianiriana wrote:

We've finished translating gnome-panel in Malagasy.
Please upload the file in the 2.16 branch or HEAD.
Thanks.

http://download.gna.org/i18n-malagasy/gnome/gnome-panel/mg.po

Thierry, I'm happy to upload your file for you.

However, I've noticed that in strings of this kind:
___
#: ../libpanel-applet/panel-test-applets.c:61
msgid "Size|XX Small"
msgstr "Habe|XXS"
___

you have retained the portion of the string before the pipe symbol |
and the symbol itself. This is a way of showing context, although it is not the standard way, so it's confusing for translators.

The correct translation procedure in these cases is to read the context information, and use it to choose the best translation, but to _omit it in the translated string_.

Therefore, this is the correct string:
___
#: ../libpanel-applet/panel-test-applets.c:61
msgid "Size|XX Small"
msgstr "XXS"
___

if you are choosing not to translate the word "small". My translation of the same string is:
___
#:../libpanel-applet/panel-test-applets.c:61
msgid "Size|XX Small"
msgstr "Rát nhá"
___

since XX means "extra extra", so "XX Small" is "very small": that's what my translation says.

XX Small - very small
X Small - fairly small
Small - small
Medium - in between small and large
Large - large
X Large - fairly large
XX Large - very large

Tags on clothing often show sizes in this way, from "XXS" to "XXL", very small to very large. Some clothing even goes up to XXXL, and down to XXXS!

Do you want to review the file, and upload it again, before I commit it?

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)