Re: Most of the strings comes up in English

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 06:55 -0400, Pema Geyleg wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We translated all the gnome desktop and developer lib files and while
> testing it the keyboard preferences which comes up while  right
> clicking on the keyboard indicator and selecting open keyboard
> preferences. We even translated the xkeyboard-config pot files and we
> still get some english strings as shown on the images attache to this
> mail.
>
> Could some one tell me what more files needs to be translated to have
> it all in Dzongkha..

Dear Pema,

To find out where the messages come from for each application you see on
your desktop, you can download all the .po files and do either command
line text searching or search from within KBabel.

To grab the latest versions of your translations, you can do in three
lines
1. wget -O desktop.html
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.14/dz/desktop/index.html
2. wget -O developer-libs.html
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.14/dz/developer-libs/index.html
3. grep 'dz.po' desktop.html developer-libs.html | awk -F\" '{print $6}'
| sort | uniq | awk '{printf "wget
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.14/dz/desktop/%s\n";, $1}' | sh

This will download all the translation files for GNOME 2.14 for
Dzongkha.

Then, you can run
$ grep "Layout Options" *
gnome-control-center.gnome-2-14.dz.po:msgid "Layout Options"
$

Most of the strings that you see untranslated come from
gnome-control-center.

The string "Japanese Keyboard Options" comes from xkeyboard-config. I
have not seen it before, and I believe it's not in the existing PO file
yet.

In the Layout Names, "dz" is not found in any PO file. The reason is
that it is not described in xkeyboard-config yet, so the system code for
the keyboard is used here.
I think that at http://listserv.bat.ru/xkb/List.html they discus these
issues and they will be able to help by adding the name Dzongkha in the
list.
If you would like to manually add your language for your work, you can
edit xorg.xml/xfree86.xml and add an appropriate entry.
The file is found at
/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml
/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.xml
/usr/share/libxklavier/xfree86.xml
Sorry, I am not sure which one the Keyboard applet reads :(

To add Dzongkha, find the <layout> sections in the XML file. For
example,
   <layoutList>
     <layout>
       <configItem>
         <name>us</name>
         <shortDescription>USA</shortDescription>
         <shortDescription xml:lang="af">VSA</shortDescription>
         <shortDescription xml:lang="az">ABÅ</shortDescription>

this is part of the US/English keyboard layout. When you translate here,
you add a section at the end with your language.
Therefore, for Dzongkha, you would add above

   <layoutList>
     <layout>
       <configItem>
         <name>dz</name>
         <shortDescription>USA</shortDescription>
         <shortDescription xml:lang="dz">translate-me</shortDescription>
	</configItem>
     </layout>
     <layout>
       <configItem>
         <name>us</name>
         <shortDescription>USA</shortDescription>
         <shortDescription xml:lang="af">VSA</shortDescription>
         <shortDescription xml:lang="az">ABÅ</shortDescription>

Hope this helps,
Simos Xenitellis