committing updated po files

there's just been a thread on gnome-i18n about committing the results of
a make update-po; in
Danilo correctly said that "it is our *recommendation* that maintainers
do NOT commit such updates". However, cvs user "Tomasz K³oczko" (sorry
about the broken character, but cvs commits mails seem to have broken
encoding) has been running update-po and committing the results in lots
of modules today (for example, Epiphany).
When and where has it been agreed to do that? I think those changes
should be reverted.