Re: Invariant sections? GFPL

On 04/09/2005, at 11:09 PM, Danilo Åegan wrote:

That's "legalese".  They are capitalised because they are defined in
GFDL, and it requires each document copyright notice to indicate if it
has any invariant sections (some document might have there "with
Invariant Sections 'Our Mothers' and 'Our Fathers'" if they have such
two invariant sections).

You should translate them the same way you did in your GFDL
translation, though you'll probably need help either from a lawyer or
law student to translate that one :)

Thanks, Danilo. I'm always uncomfortable about translating any legal statements, because I'm not a professional translator with liability insurance. If someone sues and uses my translation as evidence, I'm in real trouble. What is Gnome's position on non-professional (and thus not protected by insurance) translators translating legal statements?

(For example, if I translate a copyright statement for an application, I state clearly that my translation is to be used only as a general guide to the meaning of the legal statement, and most emphatically _not_ as legal evidence; that anyone wanting to use this information in court must have it professionally translated. I'm assuming most people don't want to sue anyone, but unfortunately, nowadays we have to waste a lot of time preparing for the noisy minority who do.)

:(

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)