Re: totem string freeze breakages

On Wednesday at 19:56, Elijah Newren wrote:

> On 10/26/05, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>> Can I move a function to another file without breaking the translations?
>> Can I remove the use of a particular string and replace it with an
>> already translated string without using breaking translations?
>
> Christian, Danilo: Could we get a clarified version of
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-February/msg00092.html
> up somewhere?  I was going to answer Bastien's question using that
> email (which is linked to from the freeze-break-request-approval page
> now), but that email doesn't have enough info to answer the first of
> the two questions.  Maybe we need to make that more prominent somehow
> too?...

Yeah, Live.Gnome.org sounds like the right place for it.  I also need
to set up a complete "How GTP works" section (to include information
for new teams, e-mail templates, bugzilla stuff, etc.), which would
also cover freezes and what to do in case you find them.

It's getting higher on my TODO list right now :)

>> Can I move a function to another file without breaking the translations?

On question 1: you CAN move a function outside of a regular source
file and include that additional file inside POTFILES.skip instead of
POTFILES.in: this wouldn't break the freeze, though we'd still rather
have the issue resolved in such a way so it benefits users of stable
versions in the same way (including l10n) as everyone else: that's why
a solution described in question 2 is much better, if it makes sense.

Of course, answer to question 2 is YES (if it's not yet clear).

Cheers,
Danilo