Re: How to show the same program with two different language sets?

Roberto wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm trying to give my contribution to some italian translations. I need a way to start the same prog (the one I'm translating) both in english and in italian so that I can better understand where some terms appear and make a better translation.

I tried starting a terminal, then exporting LANG variable to en_US (tried en_GB too :-) and then starting 'yelp' (this is one of the program, whose .po I'm translating) but Yelp still runs in italian (my language default for the Gnome desktop I use).

The same procedure works with some other software (gqView, Xmms, The GIMP) and I can compare the appearance of every string both in english and in italian. Are Gnome applications (like Yelp) getting their language environment elsewehere?

What am I doing wrong? Any hint?

What distro?
Some distros (namely Ubuntu Linux) set the LANGUAGE variable that takes precedence over LANG.
Therefore, change LANGUAGE between "it" and "en".

Simos Xenitellis

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.8.0 - Release Date: 21/03/2005