Re: release notes - translating "next" and "previous"

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 10:52 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 10:07 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
>> Le lundi 07 mars 2005 à 08:55 +0100, Vincent Untz a écrit :
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > When creating the HTML files from the translated XML using db2html.xsl,
>> > the links to previous and next sections at the bottom of the pages are
>> > not translated (they still are "Previous" and "Next"). Is there any way
>> > to have them translated or shall we change db2html.xsl?
>>
>> It seems there is a l10n.xml file in ../style/ that we should translate.
>> Is there any plan for this?
>
>I'm CCing gnome-docs list because I think Shaun McCance created the
>stylesheet for us. Maybe he has an idea.
>
>However, this will probably need to wait for 2.12.

Oh gosh, you guys are still using those?  I'm totally getting
you onto the gnome-doc-utils bandwagon in 2.12.  It rocks all
of our respective worlds.

The translation system used there is pretty insufficient for
a lot of languages.  Something like "Section 1" can only be
translated as "<Section> 1", where <Section> is the translation
of the word "Section".  But hey, it's what you've got, so you
might as well work with it.

The format in l10n.xml should be easily translated with the
XML mode of intltool.  Where you see this:

<key name="Foo">Foo</key>

You could have this:

<key name="Foo">Foo</key>
<key name="Foo" xml:lang="x-pig-latin">Oofay</key>

Which is exactly what intltool does with XML.

If there are no cross references and no automatic titlepage,
that stuff might not even show up in the HTML builds.

--
Shaun