Re: Bug in the .pot file

Danilo Åegan wrote:

This is about native language speakers, not citizenship.

Also, that can't be true (you cannot be that precise, since someone
must have died, and someone must have been born since that estimate
was done :).  This is just an illustration of the types of problems
one might have with determining "real" number of speakers.

I applied the same rules for Serbian (10M is not only from Serbia,
it's including Serbia, Montenegro and Republic of Srpska, meaning we
didn't count Kosovo population, and it's *very* imprecise: the true
figure might have been 9M, but it might have been 11M as wellâI don't
know and I don't care).

I agree. But all of the 2 million citizens are speaking macedonian. It's the same with the hungarian minority in Northern Serbia or any other country that has other nationalities, they all speak/use the country's official language. I thought that the numbers for all languages were based on those facts.

Indeed, look at "languages" section lower on that page.

Languages:
 Macedonian 68%, Albanian 25%, Turkish 3%, Serbo-Croatian 2%, other 2%

So, there would be less than 1.4 million Macedonian speakers. Should
I change the figure to 1.4? :)

The same. If you're an Albanian or a Serb living in Macedonia, you use macedonian language everywhere, including computers in school, offices etc.

Just kidding, don't make too much of the figure in release notes, it's
just an estimate, and changing it this late in the game would break
everyone's translations, and I don't want that.

Ok, no problem.

Cheers,
Arangel