Re: Is there a gnome-developers-i18n-howto article?

Funda Wang schreef:
Hello,

Is there a existing gnome-developers-i18n-howto article somewhere?
I couldn't find it in developer.gnome.org.

There is a problem in python-based applications. The programmers often
leave pure "%s" in their codes, which is not enough if multiple placeholders
be used.

i.e.
    #, python-format
    msgid "Cannot find file %s in folder %s."

According to gettext python-format definition, if we want to reorder the
placeholders, we must know the names of the variables exactly. That is:

    msgstr "Folder %(folder_name)s does not contain file %(file_name)s."

But we cannot find the name of variable without checking code :(
Could we mark it as a note to the developers somewhere?

The short answer is: No.
You can't mark it somewhere in the translation file itself. Well, actually, you can. But the developers will never ever read those notes.

What you can do is, simply open a bug in the gnome bugzilla against that module. Explain the problem to them like you did to us. Include the name of the sourcecode file and the line number. Be as complete as you can. They will be happy to help you. After all, we supply them with free translations.

Kind regards,
Vincent van Adrighem