Describing nouns (was: Re: New module : GNOME Power Manager)

On 13/07/2005, at 8:09 AM, Hendrik Brandt wrote:

There are similar problems in other languages, e.g. French and Russian.
It's not your fault, I think it's more a genreal problem and
incapability of the current translation methods. E.g. there is currently
no way to distinguish between different genders of word. A example from
the gnome-doc-utils package is e.g. the word "Author". In English there
is no determination if the author is male or female, but in German (and
a lot of other languages) there is.
I don't know if gettext is capable doing such complex grammar.

In my language, the social position of the person (which includes gender) is essential to determining how to describe them.

Perhaps in gettext we need a "identity" as well as "plurals" field. ;)

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)