Re: Mistranslations in gtk

Am Freitag, den 14.01.2005, 21:39 +0100 schrieb Danilo Šegan:
> As for choosing "|" over any complicated scheme (like the one used in
> KDE): "." works for all the world's email as a way to end DATA input
> (and people use dots in email all the time :), so chopping up to first
> "|" (inclusive) will work for all the Gnome's software, and it's way
> easier to read for translators :)

Unfortunately for example GDM uses the same scheme, but for another
purpose, that is for grouping together languages with the same starting
letter:

#. Note translate the A-M to the A-M you used in the group label
#: gui/gdmlanguages.c:53
#, fuzzy
msgid "A-M|Afrikaans"
msgstr "A-M|Afrikanisch"

[...]

#. This should be the same as in the front of the language strings
#. * else the languages will appear in the "Other" submenu
#: gui/gdmlanguages.c:427
msgid "A-M"
msgstr "A-M"

Fortunately all these occurrences are commented in GDM, but nevertheless
I think it might be confusing for translators when they are seen along
strings like "progress bar label|%d %%".

In my opinion it would be the best if either glib would not care about
translating the prefix or if the intltools would automagically put a
comment in front of strings like that, whereas that latter would
conflict with strings like the ones in GDM mentioned above.

Regards,

-- Hendrik