Re: German "Umlaute" in xmms

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:07:09PM +0100, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> If your problem is not with the program interface but with the song
> titles... it's a mess.
> MP3 format didn't define the encoding to use, so there are around files
> using various different encodings; plus the xmms program in the first
> versions only supported ascii for displaying titles; various patches
> have been done to improve that, and with an xmms version including all
> the nice patches, you have to go to preferences->fonts/encodings
> to define the various fonts to use (clicking on "use fontsets" is a good
> idea if you are on an utf-8 locale), click on "use X font" if you want
> an X11 font to be used for the small display on the main window (I don't
> know if the builtin font has german letters).
>
> In the "encodings" tab you can play with the variables if your mp3
> have their titles encoded differently than the locale you are using;
> the choices are limited, and not very suitable for German, but probably
> choosing an Eastern European language written in latin alphabet could give
> good enough results.

AFAIK, ID3v2 2.3 version tags support iso-8859-1 and utf-16 encodings.
So maybe you can try to convert your tags to utf-16. You can use a very neat
program EasyTAG [http://easytag.sf.net] for that.

> Of course, what is needed is for xmms to switch to gtk2, and things
> will be much easier, and a lot of languages currently unsupported will
> be possible.

While it's not happened just grab a newest release of Beep Media Player,
which is a nearly drop-in replacement for xmms, if you don't have to use
some xmms' plugins.

Cheers,
Åygis