Re: POTFILES.skip and generated files

lör 2005-02-19 klockan 12:29 +0100 skrev Vincent Untz:
> When I do 'intltool-update --maintain' in the po directory of
> gnome-panel, I see these that these files are not in POTFILES.in nor in
> POTFILES.skip:
>
> applets/clock/GNOME_ClockApplet_Factory.server.in
> applets/fish/GNOME_FishApplet_Factory.server.in
> applets/notification_area/GNOME_NotificationAreaApplet.server.in
> applets/wncklet/GNOME_Wncklet_Factory.server.in
>
> These files are generated in the Makefile so we can know $(libexecdir).
>
> I added them in POTFILES.skip before 2.9.91 and Christian removed them a
> few days later. I'm pretty sure Christian knows what he's doing, but I'm
> wondering what should be done for files like this.

Only files that are present in a fresh cvs checkout (i.e. no generated
files) should be listed in POTFILES.in or POTFILES.skip.

The reason is that translators need to be able to work on a fresh cvs
checkout without having to build anything, so only files that are
present in such fresh checkouts should be listed in POTFILES.in. To
detect files accidentally left out, we're using 'intltool-update
--maintain' on fresh cvs checkouts.

However, intltool-update --maintain will also warn about non-existing
POTFILES.skip entries in fresh checkouts, so in order to avoid a lot of
false and totally useless warnings, generated files cannot be listed in
POTFILES.skip.

I hope it's not too much of an inconvenience to have to run 'intltool-
update --maintain' on fresh checkouts only.