Re: Bug #149988 fixed in the 2.8 branch of gedit... is it a problem?

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:43:53 +0100, Paolo Maggi <paolo maggi polito it> wrote:
>         I have just fixed bug #149988 in the gedit-2-8 branch of gedit.
> This has changed the name of the .pot file. Is it a problem for you?
> You will probably have to the info on the Translation statistics pages
> but I'm not sure if this can create other problems to you.
> Please, lemme know if it is a big problem and I have to revert the patch
> since I'm going to make the 2.8.3 release.

Updating translation statistics page shouldn't be problematic. However,
there is a more fundamental question that I want to ask: should gedit
translation
name be versioned at all? Usually, translation domain are versioned because
they have to coexist with other older/newer version in the same system, like
gtk 1.x and 2.x. Testing CVS doesn't count since development version is expected
to be installed into another prefix, so there is no filename conflict.

But for applications like gedit, installing 2 versions (say 2.6.x and
2.8.x) seems
to be unreasonable, except during the very old days when people install
GNOME 1.x and 2.0 together.

Abel

PS I'm not quite sure where this discussion should go, can move to d-d-l or
gedit-list when needed.