Re: glibc locale data and Mozilla, Evolution

Today at 15:49, Peter Nugent wrote:

> Hi
> can anyone confirm (or deny) that Mozilla and Evolution take their
> locale data (such as date and time formats) from glibc ?
>>From a quick trawl this would appear to be the case.

I don't know about Mozilla (but listing a directory on my hard drive
seems to suggest that it does), but Evolution uses date and time
formats from translation (so LC_MESSAGES instead of LC_TIME).

msgid "%A %d %b %Y"
msgstr "%A, %d. %b %Y."

msgid "%a %d %b"
msgstr "%a %d %b"

msgid "%a %d %b %Y"
msgstr "%a %d %b %Y"

msgid "%d %b %Y"
msgstr "%d. %b %Y."

msgid "%d %b"
msgstr "%d. %b"

There're many other instances of strftime-based strings in Evolution.
If translators want to use libc-provided formats, they're free to put
"%X", "%x", "%c" etc. in there, but we generally leave it up to
translators because it's easier to control validity of translations
than of locales.

Month and weekday names are usually taken from locales, but Evolution
seems to have translations for these as well (I don't know where
they're used, but I suppose they're used in citations where it would
be inappropriate to use nominative names from locales).

Cheers,
Danilo