Re: Translating panel clock format

Hi Simos,

Today at 10:41, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> Per http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=140891&msg=47
> it mentions that the glibc locale policy is that am_pm information will
> be blank if the country does not official support AM/PM to signify the
> time.
>
> This leads to problems of programs allowing to show the time in a
> 12-hour format while nothing shows whether it's AM or PM.

Why is that a problem?  We don't use "am" or "pm" in Serbia at all,
and in informal talk, people usually say "see you at 2", actually
meaning "see you at 14h".  It's quite easy to establish if it's 4 in
the afternoon, or 4 in the morning.

> Personally, I would feel that the glibc locales should always have the
> localised am_pm information and let the end-user choose. However, per
> Libc policy, you would simply remove the option for 12-hour/24-hour time
> and simply check if "am_pm" is empty or not.

It's much easier to correct a translation than to correct a locale.  I
know since there're currently no Serbian locales in GNU libc at all,
because I asked to replace them with corrected versions, and they only
removed existing locales, and I'm already waiting 2 years for them to
be accepted.

Cheers,
Danilo