Re: non-latin accelerator keys

This is not the same problem, but the topic is the same.

Although Vietnamese uses a Roman alphabet, the meaning in words is differentiated by tones. We also have several additional vowel sounds which the normal Roman alphabet can't represent. This results in a system of combined diacritics, which make Vietnamese a test-case for Unicode support, and a continual source of interesting encoding situations for me.

Vowels are more important than consonants in our language, and most of them wear accents. Many of those accents require the use of a "dead" key in order to type them.

When having to choose accelerator keys, I run out of letters very quickly because we use so few consonants, and some of them are very common. I've started using the accented vowels that only require one key-press. That still doesn't allow me enough letters for some long or complex menus.

Is it possible to set accelerator keys for letters which require a "dead" key press in addition to another key? For example, when choosing an accelerator key for the word "Hide", I only have two choices, since the word has two characters:

án

(If your mail can't display that, it's an "a" with both a circumflex and a question mark over it, and a "n".)

The letter "n" is very common and generally already allocated to an accelerator. Typing the á means a dead key and normal key, on my TCVN layout, 6 then 2.

Is it possible to set an accelerator for such a character?

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)