Re: Some advice, please, on dealing with inappropriate comments

Hi Clytie,

Today at 7:36, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> What can I do about this? :S

Ask developers to introduce another empty comment before the offending
one.

> I also recall us talking here about the function of developer
> comments to translators in PO files. I've several times encountered
> developers using those comments fields to talk to each other. Is that
> usual?

The problem is that the same mechanism is used for comments aimed at
translators and comments aimed at developers.  Developers are usually
not aware that these comments end up in PO files.  All we need to do
is to politely ask them the fix this (just like we politely ask them
to introduce translators comments where we need them).

> What I'd really like to see is more developers using those comments
> fields to add context and help us create effective translations.
> Something like the comment above seems a long way off the goal. :(

As I said, it's usually because of the developer's ignorance in i18n
matters.  We're here to help them help us, so even though we'd love it
if they all knew our needs already, we must admit that's not already
the case, so lets just let them know.

(fwiw, I generally ignore comments which I'm positive are directed at
other developers, since I don't consider it too big a deal; if anyone
IS offended, please, by all means, just go ahead and ask for it to be
modified at least in such a way that it doesn't show up in PO files.)

Cheers,
Danilo