Some advice, please, on dealing with inappropriate comments

Hello everybody :)

This one has been bugging me for quite some time: everytime I open the PO file, I wince. :(

It's a developer comment, strangely enough, directed at other developers and not the translator working on that PO file:

#. DON\'T CHANGE THIS BY HAND! CHANGE THE SCRIPT THIS IS GENERATED
#. ALWAYS ADD A CHANGELOG OR I WILL PERSONALLY KICK YOUR ASS!
#: ../config/gettextfoo.h:3
msgid ""

What can I do about this? :S

I've just posted on debian-i18n about an inappropriate comment to the user in a PO file, and we had a thread on that sort of thing not long ago. Within Gnome, do we have a guideline or general recommendation yet on how to talk to the user? It would certainly help to be able to point people to something like that, help them realize that it's not "just one person" who is uncomfortable with it.

I also recall us talking here about the function of developer comments to translators in PO files. I've several times encountered developers using those comments fields to talk to each other. Is that usual?

What I'd really like to see is more developers using those comments fields to add context and help us create effective translations. Something like the comment above seems a long way off the goal. :(

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)