Gnome-Women wiki intro to translators

Hi everybody :)

I'm a member of the new Gnome-Women group [1], which is very welcoming, and a place we hope we can encourage more women to participate in Gnome. So I'd really like to see some of you women translators coming along and introducing yourselves: I'm the only translator there, so far (it's a very small group as yet), and I'd like to talk about what it's like to be a female translator, with you there.

First up, it's very important to say that we don't form a group like this because we're unhappy with the way men in Gnome behave, or we need somewhere we can function: I've always found this list very welcoming, helpful and supportive, and I've joined Gnome-Women to encourage more women translators to join us here. :)

As a start, I've put up a 'Intro to New Translators' [2] in the Gnome- Women wiki (on Live.Gnome.org):

It's really more of a friendly intro,. with plenty of personal experience (it's made up of all the mistakes I made when I started out here <cough of embarrassment>), not a definitive guide to translating at Gnome, because we have some very good information already. It's there to encourage people who maybe haven't thought they _could_ contribute by translating, to have a go, secure in the knowledge that we all make mistakes, and there will be plenty of support available. I think it includes links to our current introductory info.

It's certainly not set in concrete, and I'd really like some feedback on it from you on it. I'd also appreciate it if you would point any women you know or meet who might be interested in translating, to this article. I'm also looking into forming a mentoring group for new women translators, probably a sub-group of LinuxChix, so it isn't limited to any one project, so please encourage any women, tentative or enthusiastic about translation, to contact the list or me personally. I think we _can_ encourage more women to participate (there are a lot of us out there, you know :) ), and I know I can point them towards Gnome and this list, where we all form such an effective and welcoming group.

It would be great, also, to translate this article, so if you're interested in doing so, please grab the text and have a go. :) After all, we have to have some fun during string freeze... :D

btw, when does the String-Freeze-Pre-During-or-Post-Release Party start? :D

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen
[2] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomenTrans