Re: gnome-applets string freeze breakage

Christian Rose wrote:

tor 2005-03-31 klockan 19:02 -0500 skrev Ryan Lortie:

There exists a very simple solution to this problem.  Since nobody will
see it anyway, I am more than willing to remove the _() from around the
message in the stable branch.

This means that end users (still) won't be affected, and in addition,
the translation statistics will be able to show 100.00%.

Is this acceptable?

In my opinion, yes. Since noone will hardly ever see that error message anyway, removing the gettext call in the stable branch won't have much effect in practice, and the problems with breaking the freeze are avoided. Please just do this on the stable gnome-2-10 branch though; in HEAD we want everything to be marked for translation.

Speaking as an outsider, this sparked off an idea for me:
There could be a macro defined, say _should_be_translated_but_in_string_freeze_
This would be defined to just return the string, but would plainly mark that a message is actually meant to be localized but is not being because of string freeze
Of course, that macro name is a bit long... and I don't know if this happens enough to warrant it, but it would at least make the status documented in the code...

David