Re: [Fwd: [evolution-patches] addressbook fixes]

tis 2004-09-28 klockan 16.22 skrev William Jon McCann:

> >>I just talked to JP about this, and we agreed that the string changes
> >>can't go in to the gnome-2-8 branch. However, the string additions
> >>related to the bug fix can go in if i18n approves.
> >
> > I'd like to know if this fixes some bug, and how important that bug is
> > considered. If the patch and the string additions are just a polishing
> > thing and not terribly important, it's most likely not gnome-2-8 branch
> > material.
>
> Here is an updated patch.  It is similar to the one that has been
> applied to head.  It fixes a missing default value and removes spurious
> debug messages.
>
> It differs from the one on head in that it doesn't change existing
> strings and only adds one string to the schema.in.in file.  This is done
> by using long descriptions that duplicate the short descriptions.

Regarding the reuse of strings in schemas.in: If all you do is reuse a
string that is identical to one already marked for translation
elsewhere, then from the translator POV it's not a new string, since
existing translations will be reused automatically. So those need not
string freeze approval.

Regarding the new added string, "Show the \"Preview\" pane", I'd still
like to know what the problem is that it fixes, and how important that
fix is considered to be. If it's not terribly important, then it should
probably only go into HEAD, but if it fixes some kind of problem that
developers consider important to fix in GNOME 2.8, then it's a different
thing. But I'd really like to know for sure (is there a bug report about
the problem somewhere?) and some more details before deciding.

Thanks,