Re: Request for freeze break for GNOME 2.8.x for gcalctool string problem.

Today at 1:40, Christian Rose wrote:

> The patch done by Danilo in that bug report doesn't add any new strings,
> so it's not affected by string freeze. (Since IIRC the hard code freeze
> is lifted after the 2.8.0 release, I assume there's no other freeze
> blocking the fix, as long as it doesn't break the UI or feature freeze
> somehow, which seems unlikely. But that's just me speculating.)

No, the patch doesn't affect any of the remaining freezes: it just
sets the translation domain correctly so translations are used if they
exist.

> Danilo: Does your patch fix the "no menu names translated" problem
> originally reported by Egmont? I think that problem would be nice to
> have fixed in 2.8.1.

It fixes it for "the most part".  Four top menu items (visible in the
menu bar) haven't been marked for translation earlier ("_Calculator",
"_Edit", "_View", "_Help"), so they won't be translated (xgettext
won't extract them).

These are the four strings which would need to be marked for
translation, and that's what Rich was asking approval for.  It seems
reasonable to approve it, since it's quite visible (they make up
entire menubar when you start gcalctool).  OTOH, you may think
differently.

Cheers,
Danilo