Re: Translation issues

Today at 13:10, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I just fixed some problems in the arabic translation of nautilus that
> were causing crashes. When translating markup or other kinds of machine-
> parsed strings, be very careful. In this case some unicode character was
> used instead of spaces, causing problems in the parsing:
>
>  #: src/nautilus-file-management-properties.glade.h:26
>  msgid "<span weight=\"bold\">Default View</span>"
> -msgstr "<spanÂweight=\"bold\">ØÙÙØÙØ ØÙØÙØØØØÙ</span>"
> +msgstr "<span weight=\"bold\">ØÙÙØÙØ ØÙØÙØØØØÙ</span>"
                ^
I believe this problem is due to some PO editting tool (was it
Gtranslator? KBabel?), if messages are *copied* from it, since it uses
this symbol for display instead of spaces.  I have run across a
similar error earlier when I got a PO file from someone, so
translators need to watch out with these tools.

Btw, perhaps we do want an "xml-format" tag for gettext msgfmt (just
like "c-format" and "python-format"), which would check for XML
well-formedness of a message.

Cheers,
Danilo