Re: Gnome 2.6 and updates

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 21:58 +0100, Gora Mohanty wrote:
>  --- Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos gnome org> wrote:

Please, it's better to maintain the discussion inside the mailing list
so the information is not lost.

> [...]
> > GNOME 2.6 status is not updated anymore, we are not
> > doing any new release from that branch and thus it
> > makes no sense to update its status.
>
> Thanks for that note. Is it just that the status page
> is not being updated, or does it mean that any .po
> file submissions are not actually making it into the
> 2.6 branch. I was still trying to submit .po files to
> that branch as many Linux distributions are still
> using 2.4, and also because I would like to make it
> possible for 2.6 users to at least be able to do a CVS
> checkout of the files.

There aren't new GNOME releases from those branches so if you put
the .po files in the CVS server they will not be released, if you want
them included with distributions that still use those releases, you
could try attaching them to their bug tracker system.

I think you should concentrate more on 2.8 and 2.10 releases that will
be more widely adopted than old releases that will not get new versions
with your translations. You should think that a distribution that has a
already packages for GNOME 2.6 will only add new version with security
fixes but not new translations so you should have as a target their
development release (with 2.8 or 2.10).

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín