Xml-i18n-tools

Hi,

I apologize if this posting is OT (or to the wrong list) - but I can't find
any information on something which I found that excites me :)

I want to use gettext for translations, but I don't like .po files - I'd
like instead to maintain my translations in xml files and _generate_ .po
files from those xml source docs.

I gather there is a tool (or set of tools, more likely) that will allow me
to do this - collectively called 'xml-i18n-tools'

I can find some packages here and there but nothing that smells current, and
no "project pages" anywhere on gnome or elsewhere on the web.

Any pointers?

Tia,

_alex
project leader, binarycloud