Re: Credits from commit logs (Re: GNOME 2.6 Desktop & DeveloperPlatform Release Candidate 1 (2.5.92))

Hi Telsa,

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 12:00, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:18:41PM +0200 or thereabouts, Metin Amiroff wrote:
> > It's not a big problem but it seems that names that are used
> > in Release Notes are directly taken from CVS logs, thus they must be
> > UTF-8 encoded. Actually the document is correctly encoded but names are
> > _not_. Just look at the last sentence of Release Notes :)
>
> One problem with taking them from commit logs: are you taking
> them from the name of the committer, or from names mentioned in
> the logs, or from the translator_credits/translator-credits
> entry in the files, or from the Last-Translator field of the po
> files?
>
> Because my name was in the release notes for several of those
> modules where all I did was commit others' work. And say so
> in the commit log and the po/Changelog. I didn't even check
> the translator-credits (I shall now!), let alone add my name
> in there.
>
> I'd like to make sure that their names and not mine appear for
> the final release. I can provide a list, but where should it
> go; and can we figure out a foolproof way to do this in the
> future?

	If you make sure all the translations have the "Last-Translator" field
set to the name of the actual translator and your name stilll appears in
the NEWS of that module, just point the maintainer at the
"list_translators" scripts in releng/single_module/tools. They can even
choose between perl and sh! All religions accounted for here :-)

	e.g. when I go to do a gnome-panel release tommorrow, I just do:

markmc@fuzzy gnome-panel]$ list_translators.sh GNOME_PANEL_2_5_93
Isam Bayazidi (ar)
Dafydd Tomos (cy)
Gareth Owen (en_GB)
Ravishankar Shrivastava (hi)
Jitendra Shah (mr)
Amanpreet Singh Alam (pa)
Mişu Moldovan (ro)
Dmitry G. Mastrukov (ru)

	(GNOME_PANEL_2_5_93 is just the tag for the last release)

Cheers,
Mark.