Re: millions of speakers

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 02:01 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

> In GNOME 2.6, we have some new supported languages compared to GNOME
> 2.4. In the release notes we like to say how many people speak these
> languages. For the _new_ languages, I got these numbers from various
> places on the internet, because I did not find any single authoritative
> source. Do they look OK?
>
> Arabic (170 million speakers)
> Canadian English (33 million)
> Croatian (5 million)
> Lithuanian (4 million)
> Mongolian (10 million)
> Ukrainian (41 million)
> Russian (170 million)
> Turkish (60 million)

Don't forget Bengali - 189 million speakers :o)
[Source: http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm]
Bengali stats currently stand at 82.1% of GNOME 2.6 essentials.

-sdg-

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta
[http://clai.net/sayamindu]

Free Software: the Software by the People, of the People and for the
People. Develop! Share! Enhance! and Enjoy!