Re: big problem with gedit pls help!

Hi Arafat,

Arafat Medini <lumina@silverpen.de> writes:

> when i translate gedit there are 13 strings that are marked as
> duplicates of other strings, when I delete them they reappear with my
> upload to the gedit.po and want to be translated. But when I translate
> them I get that fatal errors and the file can't be compiled.

It seems to me that you're having problems with more than
gedit. gnome-applets, nautilus, gedit and many more core modules use
plural-forms, and you're probably using a screwed up tool like POEdit
to manage your translations.

Basically, you need to do the following:

- Add the following line to PO file header (i.e. below Last-Translator
  field):

"Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=(n != 1);\n"

If Arabic uses only one plural-form, you should be fine with:

"Plural-Forms: nplurals=1; plural=0;\n"

Look at other translations (like sv.po or sr.po) to see how it is done.

- Translate all the needed strings for msgid/msgid_plural messages.
  Again, Serbian uses 3 forms here:

#: gedit/dialogs/gedit-close-confirmation-dialog.c:361
#, c-format
msgid "If you don't save, changes from the last %ld second will be definitively lost."
msgid_plural "If you don't save, changes from the last %ld seconds will be definitively lost."
msgstr[0] "blah-blah %ld, 1"
msgstr[1] "blah-blah %ld, 2"
msgstr[2] "blah-blah %ld, 3"

Where you should probably use either two msgstr's ([0] and [1]), or
only one (msgstr[0]).

If you're using a borked up tool like POEdit, then you should do this
with a plain-text editor like GEdit.  Of course, check with "msgfmt
-cv -o /dev/null ar.po" that your translation is correct before
commiting.

Either pick the translation from status pages before updating it
manually (it will hold correct strings as described above), or do a
complete checkout of the CVS source.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Danilo