Re: New team for Afrikaans (af_ZA)

fre 2004-03-12 klockan 11.50 skrev Petri Jooste:
> Coordinator: Petri Jooste  (rkwjpj@puk.ac.za)
>
> Team web page and mailing list to appear (hopefully soon) at:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnomeaf/
>
> The description submitted for the team web page include the following:

> This project will help localise Gnome to Afrikaans.
> We will strive for the highest quality translations possible as it will
> be dictated by the number of volunteer participation in various tasks.
> This project is a subproject of The Gnome Translation Project (GTP)
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/
> specifically to support the Afrikaans Language Team of GTP.

Support for Afrikaans (af) is most welcome in GNOME. I've added your
name and e-mail address to the teams page at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html now. Please verify
that this listing is correct.

I'll also send a mail in private to you with a request for bugzilla
details. Please reply to that mail as soon as possible.

Other than that, please ask around on this mailing list or at the IRC
channel #i18n on irc.gnome.org if you need help getting started. An
introduction to the translation process can be found at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/l10n-guide/.

Please note that I suspect you should probably use the language code
"af", instead of the full locale name af_ZA, for your translations. That
is unless Afrikaans as spoken in South Africa is sufficiently different
from the Afrikaans spoken elsewhere.

For a new team, starting with translating GNOME 2.5, that will
soon (see the time scheme at http://www.gnome.org/start/2.5/) become
GNOME 2.6, is the best thing to do right now. You can find a list of
included software at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/ under the
"desktop" and "developer-libs" sections. Those are the things to
translate for full support of the official GNOME release.
In the case of Afrikaans, you'll find links to the pot and po files to
translate for GNOME on the status pages at the
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/af/developer-libs/
and
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/af/desktop/
pages respectively.

Once you have translated some of these pot files, you can send the
resulting po files to me (or someone else with cvs access willing to do
this) and we'll try to put them into cvs for you. Just
make sure that the files pass the "msgfmt -cv af.po" test, that they are
encoded in UTF-8, and that you compress them using gzip before attaching
them to the mail.

Once you've contributed a few translations this way, we can arrange a
cvs account for you, so that you can put translations directly into cvs
later on.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Thanks, and welcome,