Re: gcalctool - localizing expression parsing.

Hi Rich,

Rich Burridge <Rich.Burridge@Sun.COM> writes:

> Now my questions concerns whether folks in non-English locales
> would expect to be inputting "localized" expressions or would
> using "log" and "tan" be sufficient/correct?

Serbian would most definitely need localized version.  Yes,
mathematics is mostly written using Latin script around here (even
though Cyrillic is the "official and basic" script), but function
*names* are different.

For instance, we use "tg" instead of "tan" and "ctg" instead of
"ctan".  Therefore, using localized function names will solve a big
problem for us.  Not sure what it will do for your tokenizer, but
it's surely a requirement from l10n point of view.

I believe there are some variations in hyperbolic function names as
well, but I'm not sure (I'd have to know both English and Serbian
ones to be sure :).

> I have my own opinion, but I want to hear from others first.

So here's mine.  Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Danilo