non-ASCII strings revisited

Hi All,

Please include my email address in replies (I'm a digest subscriber).

I read over the thread "Non-ascii translatable strings" but I have a slightly different question. Let me begin with some shell output:

dtb otter:~/code/gok-clean/gok/po> intltool-update --gettext-package gok --pot --verbose
Wrote ../automatic-scanning.xml.in.h
Wrote ../char-frequency.xml.in.h
Wrote ../direct-selection.xml.in.h
Wrote ../dwell-selection.xml.in.h
Wrote ../gok-controls.kbd.in.h
Wrote ../gok-with-references.schemas.in.h
Wrote ../gok.desktop.in.h
Wrote ../gok.glade2.h
Wrote ../inverse-scanning.xml.in.h
Wrote ../singlekey-automatic-scanning.xml.in.h
Wrote ../singlekey-inverse-scanning.xml.in.h
Wrote ../directed.xml.in.h
Wrote ../hide.kbd.in.h
Wrote ../launcher.kbd.in.h
Wrote ../main.kbd.in.h
Wrote ../mouse.kbd.in.h
Wrote ../move-resize.kbd.in.h
Wrote ../quit.kbd.in.h
Wrote ../text-operations.kbd.in.h
Building gok.pot...
Running /usr/bin/xgettext --add-comments --directory=.. --output=gok.pot --files-from=./POTFILES.in.temp --keyword=_ --keyword=N_ --keyword=U_ --from-code=ASCII
Removing generated header (.h) files...done.
ERROR: xgettext failed to generate PO template file because there is non-ASCII
string marked for translation. Please make sure that all strings marked
for translation are in uniform encoding (say UTF-8), then *prepend* the
following line to POTFILES.in and rerun intltool-update:

[encoding: UTF-8]

dtb otter:~/code/gok-clean/gok/po>

Okay, so how do I go about making sure all the strings are in uniform encoding? What am I looking for? (there are lots of strings)

cheers,

David