Re: Nahuatl Translation

ons 2004-06-02 klockan 01.45 skrev Daniel Espinosa:
> Nahuatl is a lenguage in Mexico; is the first intent
> to have a translation in a native language to near our
> peaple to the technology.
>
> Can you suggest a key to use with this language, like
> "es" for spanish and es_MX to spanish in Mexico?

As Pablo already pointed out, the official language code for Nahuatl is
"nah".

Support for Nahuatl (nah) is most welcome in GNOME. I've added your
name and e-mail address to the teams page at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html now. Please verify
that this listing is correct.

I'll also send a mail in private to you with a request for bugzilla
details. Please reply to that mail as soon as possible.

Other than that, please ask around on this mailing list or at the IRC
channel #i18n on irc.gnome.org if you need help getting started. An
introduction to the translation process can be found at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/l10n-guide/.

For a new team I'd recommend starting with translating GNOME 2.8, even
though it is not yet decided what modules it will contain and what
messages it will include. But soon it will be (see the schedule at
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.7/), and you can start translating right
away now with our best guess of what GNOME 2.8 will almost likely
contain.

You can find a list of possibly included software in GNOME 2.8 at the
translation status pages on
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.8/ under the "desktop",
"developer-libs", and "proposed" sections. Those are the preliminary
things to translate for full support of the official GNOME release. Note
that the modules and messages included are bound to change somewhat.

You can get the potfiles to translate for GNOME 2.8, as an example, from
the http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.8/kw/developer-libs/ ,
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.8/kw/desktop/ and
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.8/kw/proposed/ pages. Once there
has been some Nahuatl translations committed to CVS, you'll
automatically get seperate translation status pages for this language at
the following links:
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.8/nah/developer-libs/
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.8/nah/desktop/
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.8/nah/proposed/

I'd recommend starting right away with GNOME 2.8 if possible, since it's
a big job to translate GNOME in full. I want to once again stress that
the list of included software is not finalized yet, so there will be
some changes.

Once you have translated some of the pot files referenced above, you can
send the resulting po files to me (or someone else with cvs access
willing to do comit the files) and we'll try to put them into cvs for
you. Just make sure that the po files pass a test with "msgfmt -cvv
nah.po" without errors or warnings, that they're encoded in UTF-8, and
that you compress them using gzip before attaching them to the mail.
Or you can put the files on a web page somewhere, and we can fetch them
from there.

Once you've contributed a few translations this way, we can arrange a
cvs account for you, so that you can put translations directly into cvs
later on.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Thanks, and welcome,